Thursday, April 25, 2013

His First Concert....the One That Almost Wasn't

I was really excited to take Zachary to his first concert!  Before you start razzing me that it was for my benefit and not his, he loves Maroon 5 just as much as I do.  I am sure for him it has nothing to do with this:


And much more to do with the fact that he really likes their music.  Anyway, I digress.  The concert was March 21st.  The tickets were purchased for him for his birthday back at the beginning of November.  The day finally arrived and we were really excited.  We left home at about 6:45 for the 7:30 show start.


On the road......
Even though the traffic got pretty congested around the American Airlines Center, we managed to get parked and were at the entrance  at 7:25.  Perfect timing in my book.

Here is where the story gets interesting. The tickets were purchased from Stub Hub, so I had to print them off...I double and triple checked before we left to make sure that I had them, what I didn't check was did I have two DIFFERENT tickets.  Me being the scrapbook nut that I am, when I printed the tickets I printed two sets...one for the show and one for the scrapbook.  So you see where this is going?  When they scanned out tickets at the door, we had two of the same ticket!!!!  HOLY HELL!!!

To say that I was panicking was an understatement, but I was trying to keep my cool because Zachary wasn't flipping out and I so did not want this night to be ruined for him......HUGE MOM FAIL IN PROGRESS!  We were only about thirty minutes from home but there were no computers there.  I made the decision to jump back in the car and drive like a bat out of hell calmly make the trek to my office to print the ticket that we needed.  Was there a better solution?  Maybe so, but at that moment that was the only thing that I could think of to do so that the entire evening was not a total disaster.  Luckily for us there were two bands coming on prior to M5 - Owl City and Neon Trees.  Although we both really wanted to see all three, I knew that if we could just make it back before Maroon 5 went on that the night would be salvaged.

Although I was quite sure that I had not deleted the email containing the tickets, all during the NASCAR like drive to my office I had that little nagging doubt.  Luckily, once we made it to Grapevine I was quickly able to locate the email, print the tickets (and def checked to make sure we had two ), and run back to the car for the return trip to Dallas.  We made the trip in just over and hour for a trip that I am quite sure should have taken considerably longer.  We got our tickets scanned and made it to the t-shirt line (because what first concert is complete without a tour shirt????) just as Neon Trees was finished.  We beat the crazy bathroom line rush and were in our seats at about 9:00 PM - a good 30 minutes before M5 went on.



The concert was great and Zach really enjoyed it!  I couldn't apologize enough to him for making us miss the first two acts, but being the sweet guy that he is , he took it all and stride and told me it would make for a great story the next day at school....gotta love that!  Here are a few pics from the show.....




And the aftermath.....



It was a great night....that almost wasn't!

7 comments:

  1. Aaahhh, this is awesome! I love the picture of Zach walking, with the tshirt on, hand in pocket, like, yeah, I do concerts all the time. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, just reading this gave me anxiety. Lol! So glad it worked out. Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you handled this way better than I could ever imagine doing! I would have been so stressed out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh how stressful!! I'm glad you guys made it! What a fun memory for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you all made it!
    I would have been stressed, too.
    Good save :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great save! I'm glad you had the email still!

    It does make a great story though. And he didn't miss Maroon 5! He looks so excited in all the pictures!

    When we went to see Springsteen (my first time seeing him) and my uncle rented a limo because there were 9 of us going. Well, the limo driver got lost and we were almost two hours late to the show! Fortunately, Springsteen plays for a really long time. And then the limo broke down on the way home! What a mess! But it definitely made for a fun story :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so cool that you took him to his first concert! And even thought things didn't go as perfectly smooth as you had planned - he's right - what a great story!

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new bloggers and love reading your comments....each and every one!