Friday, August 24, 2012

Third Time Is A Charm

I make goals...and when I make them I don't intend to drop the ball.  I don't intend to fail.  However sometimes it happens .  Such is the case with the Couch Potato to 5K training program.  I have attempted it two times previously and both times derailed at Week 3.  I am choosing to believe that third time is a charm.  Tonight, I will complete the third and FINAL workout for....wait for it.....WEEK 4!!!!  My goal is not to become a runner.  My goal is to complete a 5K....jogging the ENTIRE way.  I don't really have a bucket list, but if I did...the 5K would definitely be included.  Why?  I can't really put my finger on it, but I think until I do it, it is going to eat at me and drive me totally crazy. 

 
So, why is this time going to be any different?  I am not sure, but I am trying to cut myself some slack and truly listen to my body this time.  To be honest, about half way through Week 3 I thought to myself..."here we go again".  I felt so frustrated and wasn't sure what to do to get over that hump.  I got some good advice from a friend who told me to slow down...slow and steady is still running (even if it is at a snail's pace). 
 


 
 

After following that one small (but huge) bit of advice, I am doing much better.  Do I still sweat like a whore in church (oops, was that my outside voice?), you bet I do.  And my butt is worn the heck out, but I am recovering more quickly and not TOTALLY dreading the next workout.  Huge progress in my book.  Oh, and I forgot to mention....there is an APP for that!    The app has made it so much easier to progress through my workout without having to keep track of my intervals.  A peppy little lady on the app tells me when to walk and when to run, all the while my favorite playlist is jammin' in the background.  It sounds crazy, but it is making all the difference!  I am also wearing a heart rate monitor to keep track that I am not pushing myself over the edge.  This time I AM GOING TO MAKE IT.....NO EXCUSES.....NO GIVING UP!







 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Have a wonderful weekend and be on the lookout Sunday for Week 4 of Sunday Snaps!






 
 
 
 






 

18 comments:

  1. Way to go! Keep up the hard work. I am really proud of you.
    Your Cardio Coach and friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed - I have several friends that have done this but never have gotten up the motivation to do it myself. Maybe I will give it a try. Lord knows it is difficult to get back into shape once you slack off...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Kaely! But this time I am going to do it...no excuses! Thank you so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I am so jealous of your attitude to do this! Every single diet/exercise routine I start I quit. It just seems so hard! Thanks for the encouraging words, maybe I'll get my butt in gear and not stop this time!

    P.S. - I totally think you can rock a 5k. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, it has taken me such a long time to get to this place with this attidude. I have done more than my fair share of starting and quitting - trust me! Thank YOU for the encouraging words, it really helps when you know that people are rooting for you. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Awesome attitude! It is so rewarding to complete each week! One of the things that motivated me was that on all of the running sites the runners all say if you ain't walking you're running. That made me feel incredible. Doesn't matter whatbthenpace is, you're running :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, being that you are a rockstar in the dieting and exercising world your comments mean the world to me....and I am committing "if you ain't walking you're running" to memory. That one is a keeper...thank you so much for the encouraging words and for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. haha, i totally understand! sometimes running is so frustrating, and other times it's so rewarding :P

    singing-blue.blogspot.ca

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome that you are training for a 5k! I was too (and using the same program) but I derailed at day 1. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Katie! Running is defintely not for everyone and honestly I am not sure that it is for me, but I am not going to let this 5K get the best of me....I will come out victorious! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Good for you Julie! I've done the C25K before and love it! And the app really is awesome. It makes a huge difference. I had to quit the last time I started due to a crazy ankle injury, but I'm hoping to get back to it soon. Thanks for the encouragement! :) Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie you are doing GREAT...what matters is that you keep getting out there and trying :) Kudos for your charming third time!
    *anna
    oceannah.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, thank you for the kind words and encouragement. It means the world!

      Delete
  9. You can do it! I started Couch to 5K last fall after having a baby. The worst workout for me was the first one with a running interval of 8 minutes. I thought I. would. die. I was convinced that night that I would never figure out how to run. (And I had given it a serious go 20 years ago in high school on the Cross Country team — didn't succeed then either.)

    But! I had an epiphany one night. It's embarrassing to admit out loud, but as I was running along, wondering how in the world other people 'do this.' It hit me that they aren't RUNNING, they are JOGGING!

    I was making a mad dash every time the Couch to 5K app told me to run. I would RUN! Like sprint-run.

    Once I learned to jog at the word run, I got it all worked out. To date, my longest run has been nearly six miles, with a couple of quick stops for water. Every time I go for a run, I am still stunned that my legs can do it. I regularly run about 4 to 4.5 miles each time, cause my family can't spare me for any longer than that.

    The punchline? Your legs can do it too! It's just a matter of will power — and like you said, slowing down a little bit.

    Best of luck to you. Don't give up.
    xo—Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, Tonight is my first night to tackle 8 minutes...I would be fibbing if I didn't say that I am more than a bit nervous about it, but I am trying not to let it freak me out. Actually what freaks me out even more is the jump to 20 minutes for my third workout this week.

      I did the same thing when I started as far as running way too fast,and since I slowed the heck down it has made all the difference in the world!

      I can only dream about heading out and actually tackling 4+ miles, but I guess you just never know. Thank you so much for stoipping by and for all your encouraging words...they truly mean the world to me!

      Delete
  10. Great Job Julie! So glad to hear that the training is going well and that you are on track to meet your goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am feeling really good so far and I am halfway through the program. Have gotten really good advice this time about training and my pace and it is really paying off. Hope you guys are doing well!

      Delete

I love meeting new bloggers and love reading your comments....each and every one!